Monday, February 4, 2008

Teeth

Just a quick update to say she has #5 & #6 teeth! I totally thought the next two were coming in on top...then I looked at her on Saturday and realized the next two teeth had just poked through on the bottom! Wow!
Caroline is GREAT! She is so much fun right now! She has discovered that the couch is a fun thing to play on. She loves "rough housing" w/ mom and dad on the floor. She crawls up and down the stairs w/ no problem...every once in awhile I have to remind her to concentrate b/c she'll get excited about the dogs going up and down.
I have finally begun to read the next book in the Baby wise series (5 mo-15 mo, pretoddler) and it suggests "structured alone playtime"...so we began doing that last week 2x a day for a bout 15-20 min. Learning to concentrate on just a few toys, playing by herself, having self-control etc.
Also, learning that I am training the HEART of a child not their actions. The actions will follow if the heart is discipled. I love this book. The first one worked so great for us up til now. Honestly, I knew years ago that this was the parenting material I wanted to use as a resource. The gal that mentored me, Janet Peterson, back home, has 5 kiddos and has used this philosophy with them. I remember hearing a conversation w/ her then 6 year old Mary Kate (who is know 13 I think) and she asked Mary Kate if she had a heart of repentance ( I think MK had been disobedient). MK thought about it and said "Yes mommy I do." Janet then asked her what she needed to do and MK said "Mommy will you forgive me?" I love the thought that MK totally knew what Janet was talking about and responded is such an honest way. So...I am off to train the heart of a child...what an awesome responsibility.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are having a boy and cant wait to get him outta me!!

mckennah said...

how did you get her trained to go down the stairs?? share!!

Hannah said...

My sister raised her kids on those books and I remember them having their "play alone" time. Honestly... and not cause they're related to me. But they are some of the most well behaved children. The books we're the first thing I bought when I found out I was pregnant and I've had some parents tell me I was crazy that they we're horrible books... but then I just looked at the way their children acted... Way to go Allison!!! I'm glad someone else will be on my side with these books. Wow and stairs... thats impressive!!!!

Kfranklin said...

i shook my money maker and made Luke laugh. how's that for training a heart!?! :) you are awesome.