Thursday, April 17, 2008

Parenthood

This is hard. I knew that coming into this, but it is hard. Caroline is in a very mommy needy phase, crying often, content when she is not just touching me, but on me. There have been some very sweet snuggly moments, and some moments that require me to need my Lord. I suppose there are worse things, right?
All that said...I think today I have seen a break through in a bit of my attitude. Crazy how KidStuf can still impact my world even though I'm not directing it anymore. The past couple of weeks I have been filling in as a guest host at BBCC KidStuf while my friend Holly, is out on maternity leave. This month the virtue is JOY! What a wonderful word. What I was reminded of this past Sunday was that JOY is really a choice. I can CHOOSE to react different ways...I am going to CHOOSE to react as Christ. So, this morning, pretty sure I knew what lay ahead, I prayed w/ Caroline, as she was crying getting her diaper changed...prayed that we would both have JOY. That we would CHOOSE JOY! When she has been crying I have been encouraging her to ask Jesus to help her find JOY. In the midst of her crying I would remind her that we are going to have a great day today! And honestly, even though the first nap didn't happen, and the 2nd one she cried the first 1.5 hrs until I went up there rocked her for a minute and layed her down again (now she is out)...today as been a GREAT day! We had a blast at the park w/ our small group mom's and kids.
So, I guess this little post is to remind myself, and you, that JOY is a choice. CHOOSE it, be active about how your day is going to go. We'll be amazed who is watching us and how we react...mostly it's those little ones that are watching us! Let us CHOOSE wisely.

4 comments:

carrie said...

thank you:) it has been one of those afternoons to definitely choose joy.

Daily Tales of Sugar and Spice said...

great reminder! i almost teared up reading your post. i had no idea how many days there would be like that - where it's just plain HARD!!! that's a great perspective. i'm thankful that most of our days are pure JOY with these angels.

ers said...

so true so true. sweet blog. Joy and making the most of everyday has to be my mindset. each day is a new crazy. take care. love you. i am glad there are other moms like me.erin

Anonymous said...

You should read this: www.sleepnet.com/infant3/messages/534.html

It is an article by Harvard Medical School as to why you should NOT leave your baby to cry for 1.5 hours!

They have proven that it alters the child's brain! Please, don't EVER do this again!