Monday, January 11, 2010

God in our Traditions

So my sister-in-law Teri gave me the book by Noel Piper (John Piper's wife) called "Treasuring God in our Traditions". I am LOVING it! To be reminded about my responsibility as a believer to pass on, to talk about, to help live out the traditions set forth many many generations ago by God and keep them going. The Israelites talked about how God has shown up in their lives to their children, and their children's children. I want to make sure that Caroline and Wyatt know WHY we talk about the LORD...WHY he is trustworthy...WHY we choose to live differently than most of the world...
Piper talks a lot about heirlooms, and traditions...that there is a difference in passing down the old fur coat or the family recipe...although both worthy and a great thing...the tradition of Christ in the home is the most important to pass down.
I found myself this morning journaling about this concept and knowing that my parents have given me the foundation...that I know this stuff - but still am aware that it is my responsibility to pass it on down to the next generation. In order for that to happen, I need to make sure that my life is soaked in God - because then when life squeezes me - hopefully he with pour out on to them and those that are close to us...that HE will be the tradition of our home.
I want to be like the description of her father as he had passed away. (this is a portion of a poem written by John Piper about her Father):
"But there was shade, especially when
The tree was old: the leaves were thick
With life, and though the root was sick,
The bark deep-creased with age, the limbs
Were laden down with love, and hymns
Were heard beneath when wind bestirred
The bowing branches with the Word
Of heav'n. O there were years of shade!"

I want to have deep roots and lots of shade! Amen!

No comments: